Corn is delicious. Bacon is very delicious. But with their powers combined, they become something incredible. Let me introduce you to your new best friend and grill food sensation of this summer, BACORN™.
Making BACORN™ is very simple. I chose to make it without soaking the corn for 30 minutes ahead of time — kind of tedious to make super-moist corn on the grill, so if you like your corn that way, you might as well just steam it.
Anyway, here’s how I made my BACORN™ and what you need for a single ear (though you’ll probably want more after you have the first one):
- 1 ear of sweet corn
- 4-5 strips of center cut bacon per ear of sweet corn
- black pepper and/or other seasonings (optional)
- aluminum foil
- Preheat your grill to medium.
- Take an ear of sweet corn, schuck it, desilk it, then clean it.
- Lay out 4-5 bacon strips parallel to each other on a sheet of aluminum foil, place the corn on top (perpendicular to the bacon strips), then roll it up — if you want to add seasonings, I suggest doing it on top of the bacon strips (so it’s sandwiched between bacon and corn) prior to rolling. Since the bacon is a bit longer than the corn when you’re rolling the foil up, it takes some finesse — think of it as rolling a joint (which I know nothing about). You basically want to make sure when you roll it up, bacon comes into contact with bacon so when you’re done cooking it, they form rings of bacon-y awesomeness around the ear of corn.
- Grill on direct heat for 10 minutes, flipping once in between. Continue to grill on indirect heat for 15 - 20 minutes, flipping once in between.
- Remove and let the BACORN™ ”joints” sit for about 5 minutes or so. They’ll be way hot, anyway. Also, this’ll help lock in all the delicious flavors.
If you’re wondering how this tastes — IT’S AWESOME! My suggestion is to take a bite through a “ring” of bacon into the corn, which is a wonderful combination of sweet, salty, and slightly creamy/dreamy (due to the melted bacon fat). The bacon rings will probably fall off after biting through them, but there should be a hint of bacon that remains throughout the ear of corn. There’s no need to butter this at all.
Special thanks to P-Man from San Diego for posting a picture of this earlier in reply to one of my Facebook status updates. I traced back the source of the image, found some blog post about Memorial Day grilling, did some slight modifications to the recipe, and here we are! :)
HERE’S WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING ABOUT BACORN:
"Shut up! This looks like heaven!" —Ash, angry black girl
"Whoa." —Mexican Nick, tan gym guy
"You just blew my mind off my face." —Derek Specs, owner of Primary Night Club
"Sushi, you have officially reinvented summer, and let the dogs out." —Biobooster, drum & bass DJ/rageaholic
"Strap it to your head like a unicorn." —Benji Gunplay, fellow Asian/Cocaine Machine Gun member